The Dubai hotel gained the certification following the successful implementation of sustainability initiatives across all facets of hotel operations, reducing its environmental footprint.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates – : In recognition of its commitment to sustainability and environmental initiatives, Millennium Place Barsha Heights Hotel in Dubai has been awarded the ISO 14001:2015 certification. Regarded as the gold-standard for environmental management systems around the world, the certification provides a detailed framework to help organisations enhance their environmental performance and deliver measurable results.
In order to attain the ISO 14001:2015 certification, Millennium Place Barsha Heights Hotel implemented a range of best-practice environmental initiatives, including:
- Energy-saving measures, such as the installation of energy-efficient lighting systems and the optimization of HVAC systems, ensuring optimum temperature and air quality for guests, and resulting in electricity savings of 164,632 KWH (32%) since 2022
- Installation of 2 x charging stations for guests with Electric Vehicles
- Adoption of waste-management strategies, including the reduction of single-use plastics and recycling 39.5 tonnes of waste in 2022
- Implementation of water-conservation measures, such as the installation of low-flow fixtures and automatic sensor taps in public areas, reducing consumption from 9 to 6 litres per minute
- Sustainable procurement practices in the hotel’s restaurants, now sourcing 30% of fruits and vegetables from the GCC and MENA
- The construction of an onsite herb and vegetable garden, growing seasonal produce such as mint, rosemary, basil, coriander, chillies, tomatoes and eggplants
Additionally, Millennium Place Barsha Heights Hotel established an internal team of Environmental Champions, who led the organisation’s environmental and sustainability efforts. These champions played a pivotal role in educating, promoting and implementing eco-friendly, CSR and sustainable practices within their respective departments, fostering a culture of sustainability and accountability throughout the hotel.
The hotel also enlisted expert support from TMC Management and Safety Training, a Dubai-based consultancy specialising in environmental management and safety practices, which played a vital role in shaping and enhancing the environmental initiatives.
In announcing the certification, Glenn Nobbs, General Manager, said, “We take great pride in announcing the ISO 14001:2015 certification for Millennium Place Barsha Heights, which cements our commitment to sustainability and protecting the environment. This achievement not only recognizes our past efforts but also strengthens our undertaking towards the future. The credit goes to our passionate team, particularly our Environmental Champions, who have shown such great dedication, innovation, and drive in implementing these initiatives. We will persistently pursue new opportunities and innovative approaches to further enhance our sustainability practices and make a positive impact on our environment.”
Community-minded initiatives were also at the core of the certification, including charity collections, blood donation drives, and wellness programs for staff. Ensuring the environment is in capable hands, the hotel introduced its ‘Hospitality Ninjas’ Kids Club last summer, providing educational workshops for little ones with insights into hospitality and the environment, including activities such as helping out in the on-site herb garden.