The Spas at Mandarin Oriental Host Global Wellness Day Celebrations Showcasing the Power of Music
Hong Kong – The Spas at Mandarin Oriental harness the transformative energy of music with a new Wellness Music Programme. Set to debut on Global Wellness Day (10 June 2023) across the Group, the Wellness Music Programme has been carefully curated drawing on regional cultures and philosophy with healing traditions in their music.
The Wellness Music Programme is the latest innovation by the Spas at Mandarin Oriental designed to elevate guest wellness journeys. Music, long viewed as a formidable tool for enhancing mood or calming the body, was identified as a distinctive and valuable part of a Wellness practice. The music programme, which enhances Mandarin Oriental holistic signature treatments based on Traditional Chinese Medicine, draws inspiration from ancient Oriental philosophies and is designed to further nurture guests and deliver a deeper sense of renewal.
To create the programme the Group collaborated with MusicStyling, a network of world-renowned ambient composers, and highly qualified and experienced internal team of experts. The carefully curated selections have drawn on global musicians, musical experts, and themes from historical philosophical texts to give further space for healing.
The Five Elements playlist: Each of the five musical compositions was inspired by the Chinese Five Phases Music Therapy. Following the Five Elements found within Mandarin Oriental’s signature spa treatments, the playlist is also personalised based on the specific needs of each guest and their element profile. These playlists may be enjoyed in our relaxation areas and can be personally tailored and provided to our guests for their enjoyment after their visit.
- Awaken – Spring: Jue relates to Wood and traditionally associates with the Liver and Gallbladder, representing the season of Spring and the energy of youth and growth. This series of music is composed of ancient vertical and bamboo flute. The Jue sound is clear, melodious, deep to provide a gentle energy boost and deep sense of renewal.
- Bloom – Summer: Zhi relates to Fire and associates with the Heart and Small Intestine, representing the season of Summer and provides us warmth, and the capacity of love and enables us to mature and blossom. This series of music uses the guqin instrument in combination with other silk‐string instruments. The Zhi sound is distinct, flowing, soothing and melodious designed to relax and revitalise the body and open the heart.
- Flourish – Indian Summer: Gong relates to Earth and associates with the Stomach and Spleen, representing late summer season providing us the ability to nurture ourselves and others. This series of music is composed of the Gong combined with xun and sheng. The Gong sound is equivalent to ‘1’ in Chinese musical notation designed to stabilise emotions, release stress and recenter the body and mind.
- Release – Autumn: Shang relates to Metal and associates with the Lung and Large Intestine, representing the Autumn season providing us with our capacity to look at what lies beyond ourselves and the power to let go. This series of music is composed of metal instruments such as Chimes and singing bowls. The Shang sound is deep, sonorous, bright, and powerful, providing a deep exhalation to let go and restore harmony in the body and mind.
- Reflect – Winter: Yu relates to water and associates with the Kidney and Bladder, representing the Winter season providing us with adaptability and willpower. This series of music is composed of a combination of struck instruments and free reed pipes. The Yu sound is graceful, quiet, soft, gentle but warm, like the slight waves of water designed to provide a time to pause and gather inner strength.
“Caring for mind, body and spirit is the cornerstone of Mandarin Oriental’s spa and wellness philosophy,” said Jeremy McCarthy Group Director of Spa and Wellness. “Our Global Wellness Music Programme is designed to create the right healing atmosphere for our holistic spa and wellness services.
Fans of the brand will be able to experience this programme firsthand on Global Wellness Day. Our teams across the globe have created a series of distinctive activities, each designed to harness the healing power of music,” he continued.