· Dazzling closing ceremony for Grand Award winners, after more than 1,000 participants battle it out at Alfaisal University in Riyadh to develop a game prototype from scratch
RIYADH-: Gamers8, the biggest esports and gaming event worldwide, tonight brought the curtain down on the biggest Gameathon on the planet.
The week-long innovative competition, similar to a hackathon, saw more than 1,000 participants battle it out at Alfaisal University in Riyadh to develop a game prototype from scratch.
Gameathon is founded on the premise that – in today’s digitally connected world – individuals can come together, be creative, exchange experiences, and express themselves by utilizing video games as a common language. And so it proved among the competitors at the Gamers8 Gameathon in Riyadh, with some incredibly innovative designs vying for the top award.
With more than 100 winners from 10 different tracks of the competition, the Grand Award champions – each receiving a total of SAR100,000 from the total SAR2 million prize pool at the spectacular closing ceremony – were:
· Grand Award 1: Project PLADA via Team ADA, with an excellent Games in Sport creation
· Grand Award 2: Hit and Roll via Fahy Studios, with their imaginative Track 9 production
· Grand Award 3: Reflection via Qindeel Studios & KSU & Alfaisal, with a virtual reality presentation for post-stroke rehabilitation
· Grand Award 4: Kingdom Surfer via UpDown Studio, with their vivid Kingdom Surfer creation
Turki Al Fawzan, Chief Executive Officer at the Saudi Esports Federation, said: “Developing all levels of competitive gamers, starting with the grassroots community level, is a crucial part of the work of the Saudi Esports Federation. Innovative events such as Gameathon – which we were delighted to see was so well received by participants of various ages and backgrounds – are imperative for the growth of gaming and esports in Saudi Arabia. And doing all this while providing the biggest Gameathon in the world at the same time was immensely satisfying. Thank you to all those who participated, and a special mention to the 100 volunteers who helped put on such a memorable time for all.”
Gamers8, featuring elite esports, big-name concerts, community gaming, and over 1,000 activities and attractions, such as comedy, cosplay, magic shows, and much more, runs until Thursday, September 8 at Boulevard Riyadh City. Further details, including ticket sales, are available on the event website.